3/30/10

Prayer

Prayer

What a powerful word!

The word "Prayer" is common to most humans, in some sense.  A sincere moment of reflection.  If but for awhile, to take a moment to become still and know what is true. To have your needs heard.

To reach out to a higher power - whatever that means, cause I thought we were all one, and anyway if this God is all knowing, it already knows what's going on - no need to inform the all-knowing, is there?

Prayer - to pray - I pray, you pray, and yes, we all pray, well, most of us pray.  Pray for what?  Peace, happiness, detachment - what?

But then who is the god that we pray unto?  Is this god God?  Or is it just an inkling that we have?

Prayer - A conscious act to be still (free of thought) and feel what exists while in that stillness, yet without understanding, or at least to a place beyond understanding.

Which, of course, begs the question:
Can you be still and just feel, and be free of the need to turn your perception into a concrete image? What exists in that moment?  What perceives in that moment?  Who are you, in the stillness of that moment?  Whew!! Thanks goodness the Truth is simple - ever the simplest thing.  Anyway,

Back to prayer.  I seek prayer as a moment to connect to what I truly am.  Just as a sponge is designed for water, so are we to the thirst and quench of truth.  I am left, yet again, seeking the Truth as each breath (whether I like it or naught) is taking me to or away from the Truth.

Damn this free will.  Thank goodness for this free will.  So much joy!!

And yet I continue to find refuge in knowing what I am and that which is everlasting in me.

A moment in which my heart felt yearning gives way to surrender to the higher power which is me and is the basis of my existence.  That's a tough one to understand, and that is why experience supersedes thoughts or understandings in this matter.

I do not pray to ask for that which I do not have, for that is my misconception.

I pray to render myself, expose myself, to the infinite within, and like the sponge soaking up the radiant nectars, I then spill out in gratitude and wonderment.  And those that have the eyes to see, enjoy the offering from your kindred spirits.

Ah Prayer - Silent prayer as the mystics have called it.  Filling ourselves with the radiant waters within.

It restores my awareness of good things as well as the Buddha smile.  ;-))

5 comments:

Pooja said...

no need to inform the all-knowing, is there?

No no need!

Huggs

Skyedancer said...

Provocative posting, Kevin. Being neither an adherent to religion or theism, I still pray. Not to gods or goddesses, higher self nor higher power. It is more an expression of self that embraces both receiving and giving of energy in its multitude of expressions, from love, gratitude, compassion to appreciation, celebration, and lamentation.

It's good to read your words so early this morning.

Kevin Q said...

I struggled with the portion of this post that reads:

"But then who is the god that we pray unto? Is this god God? Or is it just an inkling that we have?"

But in the end I included this notion of prayer, as it seems to be how many people relate to prayer. Praying to something divine yet separate from ourselves.

I struggled with it because that is not really how I have come to perceive prayer. I see it more as the silent prayer as described or discussed by the mystics St John of the Cross and St Theresa of Avila.

I have always prayed starting at a very early age and it always felt good if nothing else. Perhaps a way of becoming a bit more clear about my deeper yearnings even as it seems to express a certain separation from the whole.

Kevin Q said...

Yes, that is an Elias notion, as I recall. That we are connected. And we are. Unified field.

Kevin Q said...

Yes, remembering is a good way to describe it.