4/27/10

Surrender to What?

Surrender, yea, right!!

What if I were to say that we are in a constant state of surrender.
Sorry, is that  a question or a declarative statement?

Surrender?  Yea, I know, that's a tough one.  At least for something its tough. What in the world does that mean?  Why does the thought of surrender kick up such a fuss?

I look thru my eyes and I surrender to what I see.  I eat food and surrender to the flavors. I look, I see, I surrender to what I see.  Get it?  Maybe not, if not, start from the beginning.  ;-)

Maybe not because we are such knowing creatures.  We so much know what is the truth, or do we just have a need to be right?  If I know I know, then there is no reason for doubt or anxiety, right?  Let's have a long round of applause for Religion.  Believe, die, and go to heaven.  So simple, so safe.

I propose that just because I have an understanding of something that I see does not in fact make that understanding the truth, much less the absolute truth.  So where does that leave me?  I look, I see, I understand, but what do I really know?

What if I were to say that you have to surrender to know the Truth.
No way - Dude!!!  I will not surrender to anyone or anything!!  Only pathetic, lazy souls surrender. It is important to do it myself, right?  Yes, that is correct, but do I understand what that truly means.

But you are seeking the Truth, right?  Perhaps it is simply reading the right book or asking the perfect question, or some sort of magical ahah moment.  Who needs to surrender?

Or maybe ask the question -  What surrenders to what?
What surrenders is all that you think you know, sometimes called the ego. What Truth do I gain?  Nothing that you do not already have.  Damn!
On the surface it does not seem like much of a trade off.  But I assure you that it is.

One can think all the time and still not know the truth of oneself.
One can experience the truth of oneself without thinking, perceiving perhaps, but thinking no.To think is to understand, and yet the truth and experience of oneself lies beyond understanding oneself. Understanding is not useless, it is simply limited.

Clean the mirror of perception, be still, focus, focus within (if you know how) and voila, there I am. Pretty nifty.  Surrender (let go of) the transient, and take a peek at the in-transient world for awhile.
Don't worry the transient world ain't going anywhere.  Not sure what the in-transient world is?  That's where teachers can come in handy. Teachers show the way (if they can) and then it is up to you to practice experiencing the two different worlds.  But that's a topic of another discussion.

Bah, no teachers, no surrender.  I can do it myself!  Do what yourself? Thus spake what? Have you really done it for yourself?  If not, why not? What are you waiting for?  Oh right, it's just around the corner in the next book.  We all have teachers, get over it.

Kevinisms - "Don't throw all experiences into the same basket"
and "Truth does not bend itself to my understanding therein"

Surrender:  Hummm.
What exactly surrenders to what?  And what are you after that surrender?  Different?  The same?

Seek and I shall find.  Find the Truth, surrender to the Truth.  The Truth shall then set me free. Well, sort of, cause I was already free.

I just forgot for awhile and then I remembered to wake up. Like waking up from a dream  ;-)

2 comments: